Lipodema is a medical condition that is often confused with lymphoedema. The individual with the condition may appear to be simply obese and/or to have extremely swollen legs and abdomen. The condition is an uneven distribution of the fat cells in the sub-cutaneous regions generally in the arms but more commonly the legs or abdomen. A major frustration of lipodema sufferers is that they are accused of being fat which is absolutely not the case. Lymphatic drainage and compression therapy are a highly effective method of treatment of Lipodema.
- The signs of lipodema are distinctively different to that of lymphoedema.
- swelling does not extend to the feet, but extends from the abdomen to the ankle
- the limb texture is rubbery not hard.
- pitting in the area is not present.
- infections that plague lyphoedema patients are generally not a problem with lipodema. The reason for this that lipodema is not caused by a mal functioned or damaged lymphatic system.
- In addition to MLD compression garments are essential.
Benefits of (MLD) for Lipodema
- Reduction in Pain and Stiffness
- Stimulation of Lymphatic Drainage
- Reduces Oedema